The Sacagawea dollar (also known as the "golden dollar") is a United States dollar coin that has been minted every year since 2000, although not released for general circulation from 2002 through 2008 and again in 2012 due to its general unpopularity with the public and low business demand for the coin. These coins have a copper core clad by manganese brass, giving them a distinctive golden color. The coin features an obverse by Glenna Goodacre. From 2000 to 2008, the reverse featured an eagle design by Thomas D. Rogers. Since 2009, the reverse of the Sacagawea dollar has been changed yearly, with each design in the series depicting a different aspect of Native American cultures.
The coin was first suggested as a replacement for the Susan B. Anthony dollar, which proved useful for vending machine operators and mass transit systems despite being unpopular with the public. The Statue of Liberty was originally proposed as the design subject, but Sacagawea, the Shoshone guide of the Lewis and Clark expedition, was eventually chosen.
The new dollar coin was heavily marketed by the Mint in a series of print, radio, and television advertisements, as well as Mint partnerships with Walmart and Cheerios. However, the Sacagawea dollar did not prove popular with the public, and mintage dropped sharply in the second year of production. Production of Sacagawea dollars continued, since 2007 in parallel with the U.S. Presidential dollars. In 2012, mintage numbers were reduced by over 90%, in line with a similar reduction for the Presidential Dollars, due to large stockpiles of unused dollar coins.
The Mint planned to issue the Sacagawea design in 22-karat gold as well, but this idea was quickly abandoned after the Mint's authority to strike the coins was questioned, and the Mint has retained ownership of the few such coins produced. Soon after initial production of the dollar, it was noticed that a few of the dollar coins were erroneously struck with the obverse of a state quarter and the normal reverse
- 4/4/2014: as allways you guys have great coins A+A+AA++
- 4/4/2014: Quick Delivery
- 4/3/2014: great service.
- 4/3/2014: No issues at all
- 4/1/2014: Great Transaction!! Fast shipping!! Would definitely buy from again!! A++++ Thanks a bunch!
- 3/30/2014: It was a good buy for my collection.
- 3/29/2014: Fast shipping, great care in mailing. Thanks!
- 3/28/2014: Fast SHipper
- 3/28/2014: Great quick service. Thanks!
- 3/28/2014: Everything on time and as advertised!
- 3/27/2014: PRODUCT ARRIVED ON TIME GREAT SELLER
- 3/252/2014: Great coins, arrived fast and well packaged. Had a small mixup with the order, but the seller handled it quickly and professionally.
- 3/25/2014: Mother in law was very happy.
- 3/252/2014: Fast Delivery!!!!!
- 3/22/2014: Nice coins, prompt service. Thanks!
- 3/21/2014: This item is just what I wanted and what it said it was. The time of arrival was good as well.
- 3/19/2014: I was very satisfied with the way this transaction went. The item was exactly as described.
- 3/15/2014: Exactly as ordered and shipped fast!
- 3/15/2014: These were great coins,wrap well in beautiful blue back;and ready for display.I'll be glad to buy again from this seller.
- 3/6/2014: Was very happy with everything, plan on ordering my next president from Steve's Rare Coins
- 3/5/2014: Very nice coin will order more from this vendor
- 3/2/2014: I can highly recommend Steve's Rare Coins! There was a delay in the shipment reaching me, and when I raised this with the seller, they could not have been more helpful and polite, offering to send a new coin straight away, at no extra expense to me. Before they had a chance to do this, my coin turned up, so all is well. Their customer service is excellent!